Monday, 11 August 2008

Sunday, July 11, 1954

               W L   Pct GB
Tri-City ..... 5 1  .833 —
Lewiston ..... 5 1  .833 —
Yakima ....... 4 1  .800 ½
Victoria ..... 2 0 1.000 2
Edmonton ..... 2 4  .333 3
Salem ........ 1 4  .200 3½
Vancouver .... 0 2  .000 3½
Wenatchee .... 0 6  .000 5

KENNEWICK [Tri-City Herald, July 12]—While the Tri-City players take the day off today, the ruckus concerning the 7-6 Edmonton Eskimoe win over the Braves Sunday night in the third and final game of the series continues in the front offices.
General manager Eddie Taylor and playing manager Edo Vanni will discuss the situation that led Vanni to announce he would protest.
The events leading up to the protest came in the top of the eighth inning when Edmonton pushed six runs across to go ahead of the Braves 6-4.
Andy Skurski, the first Edmonton batter, had hit safely and scored on Vern Campbell's double. Roy Partee doubled Campbell home and Don Gigli walked to leave runners on first and second with none away.
Then pitcher Larry Manier bunted. The ball was fielded by Walt Clough, Tri-City pitcher, who threw to third forcing the lead runner.
In an attempt to get two, third-baseman Terry Carroll pegged to Len Tran covering first but the throw was late. Meanwhile, Gigli broke toward third. Tran pegged back to Carroll, his throw was wild and went into an out-of-play area.
Gigli, the runner going into third, was permitted to score.
Ump Mel Steiner then ruled that Manier should be permitted to move from first to third on the play.
After the game, Steiner explained the basis for the ruling was this:
“When there are two or more throws by the infield, and the ball is thrown in the stands, all runners get two bases from the position they were in when the last throw was made.
“In this case, the ball was bunted and the runner was called out at third. The third-baseman threw to Tran at first and the batter was safe. That was the third throw.
“Obviously, the man on first was five or six steps past the bag when the third throw was made and went out-of-play, so he gets two bases from first.”
Eventually, it mattered little whether the runner was on second or third. The next batter walked and both came home on Dan Prentice's pinch-hit triple.
A sacrifice fly then scored Prentice for Edmonton's sixth run.
In the bottom of the eighth, Vanni's pinchit triple with two men on offset some of the Tri-City fans' disappointment over the bad top of the inning.
The triple tied the score at that point but on an overthrow at third, Vanni tried to score but lacked the horses to make it home. They tagged him out, exhausted, at the plate.
Edmonton scored the winning run in the top of a tense tenth inning. Ray McNulty led off with single but was thrown out at second when Augie Amorena bunted. Bob Brown followed with a single and Amorena went to third.
Dale Bloom came on to throw for Bill Tompkins. Andy Skurski lined out to Len Tran who made a game-saving catch but Campbell followed with a single that scored Amorena.
In the bottom of the tenth, Jack Warren got his fourth hit of the night but two were away at the time. Bob Moniz struck out to end the game.
The loss was charged to Bill Tompkins. Walt Clough, the Tri-City starter, was taken out of the game in the fatal eighth.
Edmonton ..... 000 000 060 1—7 17 1
Tri-City ........ 103 000 020 0—6 10 1
Worth, Marier (3), Kimball (8), McNulty (8) and Partee; Clough, Thomason (8), Tompkins (8), Bloom (10) and Warren.

WENATCHEE, July 11—Two extra inning games. Two extra inning losses. That sums up Sunday's results for the Wenatchee Chiefs in a Western International League split doubleheader against the Lewiston Broncs. The Chiefs lost 2-1 to Lewiston in eight innings in a Sunday matinee, and dropped the night game 4-3 in 12 innings despite three-hit pitching by Charlie Beamon.
The Broncs scored the winning run in the 12th without a base hit, combining two Wenatchee errors and a wild pitch for the tally. During one stretch, Beamon retired 19 consecutive batters. From the fourth through the 10th only one Lewiston batter reached first, and that was on a walk to Don Hunter leading off the fifth.
Al Yaylian pitched two-hit ball for Lewiston in the first game and scored the winning run. After getting on base with a bunt single in the eighth, Yaylian was sacrificed to second and came home on Gabby Williams' single.
First Game
Lewiston .......... 100 000 01—2 5 1
Wenatchee ...... 100 000 00—1 2 2
Yaylian and Garay; Waters and Helmuth.
Second Game
Lewiston .......... 003 000 000 001—4  3 3
Wenatchee ...... 200 000 100 000—3 10 4
Kime and Garay; Beamon and Helmuth.

YAKIMA, July 11—Yakima Bears swept a doubleheader with Salem Senators, 6-2 and 15-13, on Sunday in Western International League baseball play.
The two clubs hooked up in a slugging match in the nightcap. Salem opened with four runs in the first inning but Yakima came back with eight in its half of the frame on nine hits off two Salem hurlers.
Salem tied the game with four more tallies in the second and the team swapped the lead until the seventh when John Albini's one-on homer put Yakima out in front to stay.
First Game
Salem ...... 000 000 200—2  6 1
Yakima ..... 121 002 00x—6 13 1
Domenichelli, Rayle (6) and D. Luby; Edmunds and Albini.
Second Game
Salem ....... 440 201 200—13 16 2
Yakima ...... 802 020 21x—15 18 4
Del Sarto, Roenspie (1), Johnson (1), Rayle (7) and D. Luby; Rios, Schaening (2) and Summers.


No comments: